- •-Some community-onset pneumonias are caused by drug resistant pathogens.
- •-There is no consensual rule to identify patients who need wider spectrum antibiotics.
- •-In a prospective cohort study, we aim to identify risk factors for resistant agents.
- •-Previous antibiotic use and being bed-ridden were independent risk factors.
- •-Our multivariable model has a discriminative power of 0.832, 95%CI [0.756–0.908].
: There is no consensual definition of risk factors for drug resistant pathogens (DRP) in community-onset pneumonia (COP). Healthcare-associated pneumonia criteria have been abandoned because they were found to have weak discriminative power. Our aim was to identify risk factors for DRP in COP.
: Prospective cohort study, conducted over a two years’ period, in a community-based hospital, including all adult patients with COP criteria. Univariate and multivariate logistic regression modeling were performed to understand the association of risk factors (demographic, clinical and epidemiological) with COP by a DRP (PES: Pseudomonas aeruginosa, extended-spectrum ß-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; and other non-fermenting gram-negative bacteria, namely Acinetobacter baumannii).
: A total of 660 cases of COP were included, with a mean (±SD) age of 74±15 years and 58.9% of males. Microbiological documentation was possible in 32.6% of the cases. There were 197 cases selected for further analysis, of which 37 were cases of PES. The multivariate logistic regression model retained antibiotic use in the previous 90 days (adjusted OR=4.411, 95%CI [1.745-11.148]) and being bed-ridden (adjusted OR=5.492, 95%CI [2.121-14.222]), adjusted for Charlson's Index, CURB 65 and provenience from a long-term care facility. The area under the ROC curve for this model was 0.832, 95%CI [0.756-0.908], higher than the application of the HCAP criteria (AUROC = 0.676, 95%CI [0.582-0.770]).
: In this study, antibiotic use in the previous 90 days and being bed-ridden were independently associated with COP caused by DRP, after adjustment for Charlson's Index, CURB 65 and provenience from a long-term care facility.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections - full version.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: E1-E59https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03672.x
- Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization among U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 415-427https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1500245
- Infectious diseases society of America/American thoracic society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44 (1 March): S27-S72https://doi.org/10.1086/511159
- BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: update.Thorax. 2009; 64 (2009) (iii1-iii55)https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.121434
- Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. an official clinical practice guideline of the American thoracic society and infectious diseases society of America.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200 (Oct 1): e45-67https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201908-1581ST
- Infectious diseases society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200405-644ST
- A prospective comparison of nursing home acquired pneumonia with community acquired pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2001; 18: 362-368https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.01.00204401
- Healthcare- associated bloodstream infections in adults: a reason to change the accepted definition of community-acquired infections.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 791-797https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-137-10-200211190-00007
- Healthcare-associated pneumonia does not accurately identify potentially resistant pathogens: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58 (1 February): 330-339https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit734
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America and the American thoracic society.Clinical Infectious Diseases: An Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2016; 63: e61-e111https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciw353
- Comparison of clinical prediction models for resistant bacteria in community-onset pneumonia.Academic emergency medicine : official journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine. 2015; 22: 730-7440https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12672
- Derivation and multicenter validation of the drug resistance in pneumonia clinical prediction score.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016; 60: 2652-2663https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.03071-15
- Individualizing risk of multidrug-resistant pathogens in community-onset pneumonia.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0119528https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0119528
- A new strategy for healthcare-associated pneumonia: a 2- year prospective multicenter cohort study using risk factors for multidrug resistant pathogens to select initial empiric therapy.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 1373-1383https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit571
- Validation of a clinical score for assessing the risk of resistant pathogens in patients with pneumonia presenting to the emergency department.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 193-198https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir813
- Stratifying risk factors for multidrug-resistant pathogens in hospitalized patients coming from the community with pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 470-478https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir840
- Risk factors for drug-resistant pathogens in community- acquired and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 985-995https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201301-0079OC
- Risk factors associated with potentially antibiotic-resistant pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12: 153-160https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201407-305OC
- Health care-associated pneumonia is mostly dead. Long live the acronym PES?.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12 (Feb): 239-240https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201501-002ED
- Recomendações de abordagem diagnóstica e terapêutica da pneumonia da comunidade em adultos imunocompetentes.Rev Port Pneumol. 2003; IX: 435-461https://doi.org/10.1016/S0873-2159(15)30691-7
- Consensus document on nosocomial pneumonia.Rev Port Pneumol. 2007; 13: 419-486https://doi.org/10.1016/S0873-2159(15)30360-3
- Guidelines for the management of adults with community-acquired pneumonia: diagnosis, assessment of severity, antimicrobial therapy, and prevention.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001; 163: 1730-1754https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.163.7.at1010
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187 (Feb 15): 347-365https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201204-0596PP
- Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of diseases of the heart and great vessels.9th ed. Little, Brown & Co; Boston, Mass, 1994: 253-266
- Improving global outcomes chronic kidney disease guideline development work group members. evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease: synopsis of the kidney disease: improving global outcomes 2012 clinical practice guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158 (Jun 4): 825-830https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-11-201306040-00007
- Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices.Br J Surg. 1973; 60 (Aug): 646-649https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800600817
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Progress in the development of the index of ADL.Gerontologist. 1970; 10: 20-30https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/10.1_part_1.20
- Epidemiology and predictors of multidrug-resistant community-acquired and health care-associated pneumonia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 5262-5268https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.02582-14
- Impact of existing vaccines in reducing antibiotic resistance: primary and secondary effects.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018; 115: 12896-12901https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1721095115
- Predictors of pseudomonas and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in hospitalized patients with healthcare-associated pneumonia.Respirology. 2016; 21: 157-163https://doi.org/10.1111/resp.12651
- Burden and risk factors for pseudomonas aeruginosa community-acquired pneumonia: a multinational point prevalence study of hospitalised patients.Eur Respir J. 2018; 521709910https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01190-2017
- GLIMP Investigators. Global initiative for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia (GLIMP): an international, observational cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1364-1376https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30267-5
- Cost-effectiveness of national mandatory screening of all admissions to English National Health Service hospitals for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a mathematical modelling study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16 (Mar): 348-356https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(15)00417-X
- Cost analysis of universal screening vs. risk factor-based screening for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).PLoS ONE. 2016; 11 (Published 2016 Jul 27)e0159667https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159667
Published online: October 18, 2021
Accepted: October 7, 2021
Received in revised form: September 30, 2021
Received: August 5, 2021
© 2021 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.