- •-Some community-onset pneumonias are caused by drug resistant pathogens.
- •-There is no consensual rule to identify patients who need wider spectrum antibiotics.
- •-In a prospective cohort study, we aim to identify risk factors for resistant agents.
- •-Previous antibiotic use and being bed-ridden were independent risk factors.
- •-Our multivariable model has a discriminative power of 0.832, 95%CI [0.756–0.908].
- Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections - full version.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: E1-E59https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03672.x
- Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization among U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 415-427https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1500245
- Infectious diseases society of America/American thoracic society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44 (1 March): S27-S72https://doi.org/10.1086/511159
- BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: update.Thorax. 2009; 64 (2009) (iii1-iii55)https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.121434
- Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. an official clinical practice guideline of the American thoracic society and infectious diseases society of America.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200 (Oct 1): e45-67https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201908-1581ST
- Infectious diseases society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200405-644ST
- A prospective comparison of nursing home acquired pneumonia with community acquired pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2001; 18: 362-368https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.01.00204401
- Healthcare- associated bloodstream infections in adults: a reason to change the accepted definition of community-acquired infections.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 791-797https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-137-10-200211190-00007
- Healthcare-associated pneumonia does not accurately identify potentially resistant pathogens: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58 (1 February): 330-339https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit734
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America and the American thoracic society.Clinical Infectious Diseases: An Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2016; 63: e61-e111https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciw353
- Comparison of clinical prediction models for resistant bacteria in community-onset pneumonia.Academic emergency medicine : official journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine. 2015; 22: 730-7440https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12672
- Derivation and multicenter validation of the drug resistance in pneumonia clinical prediction score.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016; 60: 2652-2663https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.03071-15
- Individualizing risk of multidrug-resistant pathogens in community-onset pneumonia.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0119528https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0119528
- A new strategy for healthcare-associated pneumonia: a 2- year prospective multicenter cohort study using risk factors for multidrug resistant pathogens to select initial empiric therapy.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 1373-1383https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit571
- Validation of a clinical score for assessing the risk of resistant pathogens in patients with pneumonia presenting to the emergency department.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 193-198https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir813
- Stratifying risk factors for multidrug-resistant pathogens in hospitalized patients coming from the community with pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 470-478https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir840
- Risk factors for drug-resistant pathogens in community- acquired and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 985-995https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201301-0079OC
- Risk factors associated with potentially antibiotic-resistant pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12: 153-160https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201407-305OC
- Health care-associated pneumonia is mostly dead. Long live the acronym PES?.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12 (Feb): 239-240https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201501-002ED
- Recomendações de abordagem diagnóstica e terapêutica da pneumonia da comunidade em adultos imunocompetentes.Rev Port Pneumol. 2003; IX: 435-461https://doi.org/10.1016/S0873-2159(15)30691-7
- Consensus document on nosocomial pneumonia.Rev Port Pneumol. 2007; 13: 419-486https://doi.org/10.1016/S0873-2159(15)30360-3
- Guidelines for the management of adults with community-acquired pneumonia: diagnosis, assessment of severity, antimicrobial therapy, and prevention.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001; 163: 1730-1754https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.163.7.at1010
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187 (Feb 15): 347-365https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201204-0596PP
- Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of diseases of the heart and great vessels.9th ed. Little, Brown & Co; Boston, Mass, 1994: 253-266
- Improving global outcomes chronic kidney disease guideline development work group members. evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease: synopsis of the kidney disease: improving global outcomes 2012 clinical practice guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158 (Jun 4): 825-830https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-11-201306040-00007
- Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices.Br J Surg. 1973; 60 (Aug): 646-649https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800600817
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Progress in the development of the index of ADL.Gerontologist. 1970; 10: 20-30https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/10.1_part_1.20
- Epidemiology and predictors of multidrug-resistant community-acquired and health care-associated pneumonia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 5262-5268https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.02582-14
- Impact of existing vaccines in reducing antibiotic resistance: primary and secondary effects.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018; 115: 12896-12901https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1721095115
- Predictors of pseudomonas and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in hospitalized patients with healthcare-associated pneumonia.Respirology. 2016; 21: 157-163https://doi.org/10.1111/resp.12651
- Burden and risk factors for pseudomonas aeruginosa community-acquired pneumonia: a multinational point prevalence study of hospitalised patients.Eur Respir J. 2018; 521709910https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01190-2017
- GLIMP Investigators. Global initiative for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia (GLIMP): an international, observational cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1364-1376https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30267-5
- Cost-effectiveness of national mandatory screening of all admissions to English National Health Service hospitals for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a mathematical modelling study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16 (Mar): 348-356https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(15)00417-X
- Cost analysis of universal screening vs. risk factor-based screening for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).PLoS ONE. 2016; 11 (Published 2016 Jul 27)e0159667https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159667