The CHA2DS2-VASc score is one of the most validated risk tools in atrial fibrillation (AF) [
], and remains a simple and practical clinical score to aid decision-making. However, it has limitations in predicting the absolute stroke risk and its ability for identifying patients at risk of thromboembolism is modest.
- Borre ED
- Goode A
- Raitz G
- Shah B
- Lowenstern A
- Chatterjee R
- et al.
Predicting Thromboembolic and Bleeding Event Risk in Patients with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation: A Systematic Review.
Thromb Haemost. 2018; 118: 2171-2187
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Predicting Thromboembolic and Bleeding Event Risk in Patients with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation: A Systematic Review.Thromb Haemost. 2018; 118: 2171-2187
- Assessing absolute stroke risk in patients with atrial fibrillation using a risk factor based approach.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2020;
- Cessation of oral anticoagulation is an important risk factor for stroke and mortality in atrial fibrillation patients.Thromb Haemost. 2017; 117: 1448-1454
- Comparison of idraparinux with vitamin K antagonists for prevention of thromboembolism in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomised, open-label, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2008; 371: 315-321
- A Propensity Score Matched Comparison of Clinical Outcomes in Atrial Fibrillation Patients Taking Vitamin K Antagonists: Comparing the "Real-World" vs Clinical Trials.Mayo Clin Proc. 2018; 93: 1065-1073
- Apixaban for Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation: Why are Event Rates Higher in Clinical Practice than in Randomized Trials?-A Systematic Review.Thromb Haemost. 2020;
- Age threshold for the use of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation: insights into the optimal assessment of age and incident comorbidities.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 1504-1514
- Incident Comorbidities, Aging and the Risk of Stroke in 608,108 Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: A Nationwide Analysis.J Clin Med. 2020; 9
- Dynamic Changes of CHA2DS2-VASc Score and the Risk of Ischaemic Stroke in Asian Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: A Nationwide Cohort Study.Thromb Haemost. 2018; 118: 1296-1304
- Incident Co-Morbidities in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation Initially with a CHA2DS2-VASc Score of 0 (Males) or 1 (Females): Implications for Reassessment of Stroke Risk in Initially 'Low-Risk' Patients.Thromb Haemost. 2019; 119: 1162-1170
Published online: December 21, 2021
Accepted: December 15, 2021
Received in revised form: December 10, 2021
Received: November 26, 2021
© 2021 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.