- •We assessed the effect of obesity status on hospital outcomes after CAP in Spain.
- •Obese and morbidly obese patients have a lower risk of IHM than non-obese patients.
- •The obesity survival paradox appears similarly in men and women with CAP.
- •Prospective studies with detailed clinical data are needed to confirm our results.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007 Mar 1; 44 (Suppl 2): S27-S72https://doi.org/10.1086/511159
- Body mass index and risk of pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2013 Oct; 14: 839-857https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12055
Mahendra M., Jayaraj B.S., Limaye S., Chaya S.K., Dhar R., Mahesh P.A. Factors influencing severity of community-acquired pneumonia Lung India. Jul-Aug 2018;35(4):284– 9. doi: 10.4103/lungindia.lungindia_334_17.
- Causes of death for patients with community-acquired pneumonia: results from the Pneumonia Patient Outcomes Research Team cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2002 May 13; 162: 1059-1064https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.9.1059
World Health Organization. Obesity and Overweight. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight. [Accessed Nov 2, 2021].
- Effects of obesity on the outcome of pneumonia.Expert Rev Endocrinol Metab. 2017 Sep; 12: 315-320https://doi.org/10.1080/17446651.2017.1368387
- Relationship between obesity and ventilator-associated pneumonia: a post hoc analysis of the NUTRIREA2 trial.Chest. 2021 Jun; 159: 2309-2317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2021.01.081
- Mortality association between obesity and pneumonia using a dual restricted cohort model.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2020 Jul-Aug; 14: 350-359https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2019.09.007
- Obesity is associated with improved survival in community-acquired pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2013 Jul; 42: 180-187https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00115312
- Obesity survival paradox in pneumonia: a meta-analysis.BMC Med. 2014 Apr 10; 12: 61https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-12-61
- Obesity and outcomes in patients hospitalized with pneumonia.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013 Aug; 19: 709-716https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2012.04003.x
- Association of overweight and obesity with patient mortality after acute myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Int J Obes (Lond). 2016 Feb; 40: 220-228https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2015.176
- The obesity-survival paradox in hemodialysis patients: why do overweight hemodialysis patients live longer?.Nutr Clin Pract. 2007 Feb; 22: 11-15https://doi.org/10.1177/011542650702200111
- Body mass index and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e43892https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043892
- The obesity paradox" in disease–is the protective effect of obesity true?.Swiss Med Wkly. 2015 Dec 28; 145: w14265https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2015.14265
Braun N., Hoess C., Kutz A., Christ-Crain M., Thomann R., Henzen C., et al. Obesity paradox in patients with community-acquired pneumonia: is inflammation the missing link? Nutrition. 2017 Jan;33:304–10. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2016.07.016.
- Servicios sociales e igualdad. real decreto 69/2015, de 6 de febrero, por el que se regula el registro de actividad de atención sanitaria especializada. 35. (Spanish National Hospital Discharge Database) BOE, 2015: 10789-10809 (Available online: https://www.mscbs.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/docs/BOE_RD_69_2015_RAE_CMBD.pdf [Accessed 12 May 2021])
- New ICD-10 version of the Charlson comorbidity index predicted in-hospital mortality.J Clin Epidemiol. 2004 Dec; 57: 1288-1294https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2004.03.012
- Trends in hospitalizations for community-acquired pneumonia in Spain: 2004 to 2013.Eur J Intern Med. 2017 May; 40: 64-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2016.12.010
- Outcomes and sex-related disparities in pneumonia: a matched-pair analysis with data from spanish hospitals (2016-2019).J Clin Med. 2021 Sep 23; 10: 4339https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10194339
- Applied logistic regression.3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA2013
- Consumo y bienestar social. solicitud de extracción de datos – extraction request.(Spanish National Hospital Discharge Database), 2021 (Available onlinehttps://www.mscbs.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/estadisticas/estMinisterio/SolicitudCMBDdocs/2018_Formulario_Peticion_Datos_RAE_CMBD.pdf [Accessed 12 May])
- Obesity and risk of subsequent hospitalisation with pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2010 Dec; 36: 1330-1336https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00184209
Blumentals W.A., Nevitt A., Peng M.M., Toovey S. Body mass index and the incidence of influenza-associated pneumonia in a UK primary care cohort. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2012 Jan;6(1):28–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00262.x.
- Prospective study of pneumonia hospitalizations and mortality of U.S. older people: the role of chronic conditions, health behaviors, and nutritional status.Public Health Rep. Jul-Aug 1989; 104: 350-360
- Risk and protective factors related to mortality from pneumonia among middleaged and elderly community residents: the JACC Study.J Epidemiol. 2007 Nov; 17: 194-202https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.17.194
- The obesity paradox in community-acquired bacterial pneumonia.Int J Infect Dis. 2011 Jan; 15: e54-e57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2010.09.011
- Obesity paradox, obesity orthodox, and the metabolic syndrome: an approach to unity.Mol Med. 2017 Feb; 22: 873-885https://doi.org/10.2119/molmed.2016.00211
- Patterns of cytokine expression in community-acquired pneumonia.Chest. 1995 May; 107: 1342-1349https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.107.5.1342
- Production of soluble tumor necrosis factor receptors by human subcutaneous adipose tissue in vivo.Am J Physiol. 1999 Dec; 277 (10.1152/ajpendo.1999.277.6.E971): E971-E975
- Leptin modulates the T-cell immune response and reverses starvation-induced immunosuppression.Nature. 1998 Aug 27; 394: 897-901https://doi.org/10.1038/29795
- Adipokines in inflammation and metabolic disease.Nat Rev Immunol. 2011 Feb; 11: 85-97https://doi.org/10.1038/nri2921
- Obesity.Lancet. 2005 Oct 1; 366: 1197-1209https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67483-1
- Effect of obesity on image quality: fifteen-year longitudinal study for evaluation of dictated radiology reports.Radiology. 2006 Aug; 240: 435-439https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2402051110
- Association between body mass index and mortality in hospitalised patients with community-acquired pneumonia.ERJ Open Res. 2021 Mar 22; 7: 00736-02020https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00736-2020
- Medical therapies and invasive treatments for coronary artery disease by body mass: the "obesity paradox" in the Get With The Guidelines database.Am J Cardiol. 2007 Nov 1; 100: 1331-1335https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2007.06.019
- The obesity paradox in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes: results from the Can Rapid risk stratification of Unstable angina patients Suppress ADverse outcomes with Early implementation of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guidelines Quality Improvement Initiative.Am Heart J. 2006 Jul; 152: 140-148https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2005.09.024
- Relation of body mass index to outcomes in acute coronary síndrome.Am J Cardiol. 2021 Jan 1; 138: 11-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2020.09.059
- Association between obesity and hospital mortality in critical COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2021 Aug 25; : 1-6https://doi.org/10.1038/s41366-021-00938-8
- Impact of obesity on outcomes for patients hospitalised with pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2013 Apr; 41: 929-934https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00185211
- Relationship between body mass index and outcomes among hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia.J Infect Dis. 2017 Jun 15; 215: 1873-1882https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jix241
- Validated methods for identifying individuals with obesity in health care administrative databases: a systematic review.Obes Sci Pract. 2020 Sep 4; 6: 677-693https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.450
- Validation of obesity-related diagnosis codes in claims data.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2021 Dec; 23: 2623-2631https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.14512
- Validation of body mass index (BMI)-related ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM administrative diagnosis codes recorded in US claims data.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2018 Oct; 27: 1092-1100https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.4617
- Sex-specific differences in mortality and the obesity paradox of patients with myocardial infarction ages >70 y.Nutrition. 2018 Feb; 46: 124-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2017.09.004
- Path Analysis of the Impact of Obesity on Postoperative Outcomes in Colorectal Cancer Patients: a Population-Based Study.J Clin Med. 2021 Jun 29; 10: 2904https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10132904
- Obesity Paradox in Intracerebral Hemorrhage.Stroke. 2019 Apr; 50 (Erratum in: Stroke. 2019 Jun;50(6):e177): 999-1002https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.119.024638
- Relation Between obesity and survival in patients hospitalized for pulmonary arterial hypertension (from a nationwide inpatient sample database 2003 to 2011).Am J Cardiol. 2017 Aug 1; 120: 489-493https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.04.051
- Obesity paradox in advanced liver disease: obesity is associated with lower mortality in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2016 Oct; 36: 1450-1456https://doi.org/10.1111/liv.13137
- Accuracy of administrative data for identifying patients with pneumonia.Am J Med Qual. 2005 Nov-Dec; 20: 319-328https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860605280358
- Classification algorithms to improve the accuracy of identifying patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia using administrative data.Epidemiol Infect. 2011 Sep; 139: 1296-1306https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268810002529
- Validation for using electronic health records to identify community acquired pneumonia hospitalization among people with and without HIV.Pneumonia (Nathan). 2020 Jul 25; 12: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s41479-020-00068-1
- Accuracy of ICD-9-CM codes in detecting community-acquired pneumococcal pneumonia for incidence and vaccine efficacy studies.Am J Epidemiol. 1999 Feb 1; 149: 282-289https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009804
- Assessment of the accuracy of using ICD-9 diagnosis codes to identify pneumonia etiology in patients hospitalized with pneumonia.JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Jul 1; 3e207750https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.7750
- ICD-10 codes are a valid tool for identification of pneumonia in hospitalized patients aged >or = 65 years.Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Feb; 136: 232-240https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268807008564