- •Achalasia is an idiopathic disorder characterized by degeneration of esophageal myenteric neurons.
- •Enteric neuropathies secondary to systemic diseases have been implicated in the pathogenesis of achalasia.
- •The All of Usresearch program database from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) allows for the examination of achalasia and systemic disease associations.
- •A diagnosis of achalasia is associated with several autoimmune conditions including systemic scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, and Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- New perspectives in the diagnosis and management of enteric neuropathies.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10 (In eng). DOI:: 206-218https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2013.18
- Inflammatory neuropathies of the enteric nervous system.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126 (In eng). DOI:: 1872-1883https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.02.024
- Glucocorticoid insufficiency, achalasia, alacrima with autonomic motor neuropathy.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 106 (In eng). DOI:: 61-63https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-106-1-62
- Sensory ataxic neuropathy and esophageal achalasia in a patient with Sjogren's syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2007; 35 (In eng). DOI:: 532-535https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20716
- The All of Us Research Program Investigators. The “All of Us” Research Program.New Engl J Med. 2019; 381 (DOI:): 668-676https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsr1809937
- The prevalence of autoimmune disease in patients with esophageal achalasia.Dis Esophagus. 2012; 25 (In eng). DOI:: 209-213https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2050.2011.01249.x
- Etiology and pathogenesis of achalasia: the current understanding.Am J Gastroenterol. 2005; 100 (In eng). DOI:: 1404-1414https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2005.41775.x
- Comprehensive analysis of the major histocompatibility complex in systemic sclerosis identifies differential HLA associations by clinical and serological subtypes.Ann Rheum Dis. 2021; 80 (In eng). DOI:: 1040-1047https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2021-219884
- The HLA region and autoimmune disease: associations and mechanisms of action.Curr Genomics. 2007; 8 (In eng). DOI:: 453-465https://doi.org/10.2174/138920207783591690
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for treatment of Guillain-Barre syndrome-associated achalasia: A rare case.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23 (In eng). DOI:: 926-930https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v23.i5.926