- •Physician healthcare significantly promotes overall population health measured by life expectancy at birth.
- •The data analysis results reveal that physician healthcare is in significant demand worldwide.
- •The shortage of physicians to provide healthcare shortage is worse in developing countries.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Life expectancy.Encyclopedia of gerontology. 2nd ed. Elsevier, 2007: 61-67
- International variations in life expectancy: a spatio-temporal analysis.Tijdschr Voor Econ Soc Geogr. 2010; 101: 73-90
AIHW. Deaths in Australia. Life expectancy & deaths 2021 25 Jun 2021 04 April 2022 ]; Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/life-expectancy-death/deaths-in-australia/contents/life-expectancy.
- The relationship between life expectancy at birth and health expenditures estimated by a cross-country and time-series analysis.Procedia Econ Financ. 2014; 15: 108-114
WHO. WHO stat 2006 definitions and metadata life expectancy at birth 2021 04 April 2022; Available from: https://www.who.int/whosis/whostat2006DefinitionsAndMetadata.pdf.
The World Bank. Life expectancy at birth, total (years). 2022 05 April 2022]; Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN.
- The epidemiologic transition: changing patterns of mortality and population dynamics.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2009; 3 (1 Suppl): 19S-26S
- The social determinants of health: it's time to consider the causes of the causes.Public Health Rep. 2014; 129 (1_suppl2): 19-31
- Community care for the elderly: needs and service use study (CENSUS): who receives home care packages and what are the outcomes?.Australas J Ageing. 2015; 34: E1-E8
- Access to healthcare services makes a difference in healthy longevity among older Chinese adults.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 68: 210-219
GBD 2016 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators, Measuring performance on the healthcare access and quality index for 195 countries and territories and selected subnational locations: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. 2018.
- Association of primary care physician supply with population mortality in the United States, 2005-2015.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 506-514
- Estimated effect on life expectancy of alleviating primary care shortages in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2021; 174: 920-926
- Urban-rural differences in the association between access to healthcare and health outcomes among older adults in China.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 1-11
- Access to routine care and risks for 30-day readmission in patients with cardiovascular disease.Am Heart J. 2018; 196: 9-17
- A triple play: psychological distress, physical comorbidities, and access and use of health services among US adults with disabilities.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2014; 25: 814
- Primary care, race, and mortality in US states.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 61: 65-75
- The relationship between primary care, income inequality, and mortality in US States, 1980–1995.J Am Board Fam Pract. 2003; 16: 412-422
- Primary care, infant mortality, and low birth weight in the states of the USA.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2004; 58: 374-380
- Contribution of primary care to health systems and health.Milbank Q. 2005; 83: 457-502
- Adequate access to healthcare and added life expectancy among older adults in China.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 1-15
- The association between physician staff numbers and mortality in English hospitals.EClinicalMedicine. 2021; 32100709
- Primary care: a critical review of the evidence on quality and costs of health care. 29. Health Affairs, 2010: 766-772
- Primary care physician workforce and Medicare beneficiaries' health outcomes.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2096-2104
WHO. Sustainable development goals (SDGs). 2022 April 05 2022]; Available from: https://www.who.int/health-topics/sustainable-development-goals#tab=tab_2.
WHO. GHO | By category | obesity (body mass index ≥ 30),age-standardized (%) - estimates by country. WHO 2017 MINERVA PUBLISH DATE 28 August 2017 ]; Available from: http://apps.who.int/gho/data/view.main.CTRY2450A.
The World Bank. Physicians (per 1,000 people). 2020 April 3 2022]; Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS.
The world Bank, GDP per capita, PPP (current international $), T.W.B. Group, Editor. 2014: Internet.
- The quantity and quality of life and the evolution of world inequality.Am Econ Rev. 2005; 95: 277-291
- Income, health, and well-being around the world: evidence from the Gallup world poll.J Econ Perspect. 2008; 22: 53-72
- The changing relation between mortality and level of economic development.Popul Stud (Camb). 1975; 29: 231-248
- Urban population (% of total population).2022 (in 2014, T.W.B. Group, EditorInternet)
- Quantification of urbanization in relation to chronic diseases in developing countries: a systematic review.J Urban Health. 2008; 85: 938-951
- Global urbanization and impact on health.Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2003; 206: 269-278
WHO. Urban health. 2022 March 12 2022]; Available from: https://www.who.int/health-topics/urban-health#tab=tab_1.
- On solutions to the shortage of doctors in Australia and New Zealand.Med J Aust. 2009; 190: 152-156
- Equality of educational opportunity revisited.N Engl Econ Rev. 1996; (Special issue): 87
- Widening rural–urban disparities in life expectancy, US, 1969–2009. Widening rural–urban disparities in life expectancy, US, 1969–2009. 46. Am J Prev Med, 2014: e19-e29
- Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 24-32
- Body-mass index and all-cause mortality: individual-participant-data meta-analysis of 239 prospective studies in four continents.Lancet N Am Ed. 2016; 388 (10046): 776-786
- A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors.Qual Quant. 2007; 41: 673-690
- Cereal crops are not created equal: wheat consumption associated with obesity prevalence globally and regionally. 3. AIMS Public Health, 2016: 313
- Decreasing birth rate determining worldwide incidence and regional variation of female breast cancer.Adv Breast Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 1-14
- Relaxed natural selection contributes to global obesity increase more in males than in females due to more environmental modifications in female body mass.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0199594
- Prostate cancer incidence is correlated to total meat intake–a cross-national ecologic analysis of 172 countries.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2018; 19: 2229
- Gluten consumption may contribute to worldwide obesity prevalence.Anthropol Rev. 2020; 83: 327-348
OECD. List of OECD member countries. 2015; Available from: http://www.oecd.org.
United Nations Statistics Division. Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and other groupings. 2013 03.10.2016]; Available from: http://unstats.un.org.
WHO. WHO regional offices. 2018 11.26.2015]; Available from: http://www.who.int.
Asia Cooperation Dialogue. Member countries. 2018; Available from: http://www.acddialogue.com.
The World Bank. Arab world | data. 2015; Available from: http://data.worldbank.org/region/ARB.
European Free Trade Association. What is the European economic area? 2016; Available from: http://www.efta.int/eea.
European Union. EUROPA - countries. 2022 18.06.2015]; Available from: http://europa.eu.
The United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization. UNESCO regions-Latin America and the caribbean. 2014 [11.26.2015]; Available from: http://www.unesco.org.
- The correlation of physician to population ratio and life expectancy in Asian countries.J Med Sci Clin Res. 2014; : 699-706
- Why are the Japanese living longer?.BMJ Br Med J. 1989; 299: 1547
- The contribution of primary care to health and health systems in low-and middle-income countries: a critical review of major primary care initiatives.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 70: 904-911
- What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival.Lancet N Am Ed. 2008; 371 (9610): 417-440
- Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capital.Lancet N Am Ed. 2008; 371 (9609): 340-357
Bloom, D.E., The value of vaccination, in Hot topics in infection and immunity in children VII. 2011, Springer. p. 1-8.
- HIV/AIDS is reducing the number of Russians and their life expectancy.Демографическое обозрение. 2017; 4
- Primary health care and sustainable development goals.Bull World Health Organ. 2020; 98: 792
WHO. Health workforce: medical doctors. 2022 April 5 2022]; Available from: https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/topics/indicator-groups/indicator-group-details/GHO/medical-doctors.
WHO. Health workforce requirements for universal health coverage and the sustainable development goals. 2016 April 5 2022 ]; Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/250330/9789241511407-eng.pdf.
WHO. The global health observatory- explore a world of health data. 2022 April 5 2022 ]; Available from: https://www.who.int/data/gho/indicator-metadata-registry/imr-details/5315.