- •This article aims to describe the epidemiology of anaerobic bacteremia and to identify risk factors affecting mortality and the impact of treatment.
- •Anaerobic bacteremia is responsible for a high mortality rate at day 30.
- •Bacteroides fragilis group, Fusobacterium spp., Clostridium spp. and Gram-positive anaerobic cocci are the anaerobes most involved in anaerobic bacteremia.
- •Time to positivity ≥ of 30 h is associated with a lower risk of 30-day mortality.
- •The administration of an adequate empirical antibiotic therapy improved the patient's survival.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The role of anaerobic bacteria in bacteremia.Anaerobe. 2010; 16: 183-189
- Anaerobic bacteria in clinical specimens - frequent, but a neglected lot: a five-year experience at a tertiary care hospital.J Clin Diagn Res. 2017; 11: DC44-DC48
- A 62-month retrospective epidemiological survey of anaerobic bacteraemia in a university hospital.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2006; 12: 527-532
- Anaerobic bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 1996; 23: S97-101
- Clinical significance and outcome of anaerobic bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 1998; 26: 1413-1417
- Relevance of anaerobic bacteremia in adult patients: a never-ending story?.Eur J Microbiol Immunol. 2020; 10: 64-75
- Spectrum and treatment of anaerobic infections.J Infect Chemother. 2016; 22: 1-13
- Bactéries anaérobies et résistances aux antibiotiques.Rev Francoph Lab. 2018; 2018: 57-62
- Anaerobic bacteremia: impact of inappropriate therapy on mortality.Infect Chemother. 2016; 48: 91-98
- Evaluation of MALDI-TOF MS (matrix-assisted laser desorption-ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry) for routine identification of anaerobic bacteria.Anaerobe. 2016; 42: 101-107
- Epidemiology and outcome of nosocomial and community-onset bloodstream infection.J Clin Microbiol. 2003; 41: 3655-3660
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682
- The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3).JAMA. 2016; 315: 801-810
- KDIGO clinical practice guidelines for acute kidney injury.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c179-c184
- Definition and classification of chronic kidney disease: a position statement from kidney disease: improving global outcomes (KDIGO).Kidney Int. 2005; 67: 2089-2100
- Reprint of: blood culture time-to-positivity: making use of the hidden information.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 399-402
- Are incidence and epidemiology of anaerobic bacteremia really changing?.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015; 34: 1621-1629
- Risk factors for mortality in patients with anaerobic bacteremia.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004; 23: 310-316
- Decrease in anaerobe-related bacteraemias and increase in Bacteroides species isolation rate from 1998 to 2007: a retrospective study.Anaerobe. 2010; 16: 201-205
- Reemergence of anaerobic bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 895-900
- Prognostic factors and impact of antibiotherapy in 117 cases of anaerobic bacteraemia.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008; 27: 671-678
- Is the incidence of anaerobic bacteremia decreasing? Analysis of 114,000 blood cultures over a ten-year period.J Clin Microbiol. 2008; 46: 2432-2434
- Clinical relevance of Clostridium bacteremia: an 8-year retrospective study.Anaerobe. 2020; 63102202
- Clinical characteristics associated with mortality of patients with anaerobic bacteremia.Anaerobe. 2016; 39: 45-50
- Clinical and microbiological features of bacteraemia with Gram-positive anaerobic cocci: a population-based retrospective study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 760.e1-760.e6
- Time to positivity of blood cultures in patients with bloodstream infections: a useful prognostic tool.Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2017; 35: 638-644