- •Physicians often miss the subtle signs of intellectual disability (ID).
- •Physical complaints due to missed ID often present as internal medicine problems.
- •Missing ID leads to unnecessary diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- •Height, BMI, health problems and medication differ between ID and no-ID adults.
- •These differences may aid in the development of an ID alert to improve ID awareness.
Abbreviations:A.I. (Artificial intelligence), BMI (Body mass index), DM (Diabetes mellitus), EHR (Electronic health record), EMCR (Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), ID (Intellectual disabilities), IQ (Intelligence quotient), IQR (Interquartile range), PWS (Prader-Willi syndrome), SD (Standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Intellect Disab. 2019;
- Prevalence of intellectual disability: a meta-analysis of population-based studies.Res Dev Disabil. 2011; 32: 419-436
- Psychiatric diagnoses in older people with intellectual disability in comparison with the general population: a register study.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2018; 27: 479-491
- Patterns in the prevalence of diabetes and incidence of diabetic complications in people with and without an intellectual disability in Dutch primary care: insights from a population-based data-linkage study.Prim Care Diabetes. 2021; 15: 372-377
- Cardiopulmonary profile of individuals with intellectual disability.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019; 51: 1802-1808
- Prevalence, types and associations of medically unexplained symptoms and signs. A cross-sectional study of 1023 adults with intellectual disabilities.J Intellect Disabil Res. 2017; 61: 637-642
- Stress and obesity: are there more susceptible individuals?.Curr Obesity Rep. 2018; 7: 193-203
Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5™, 5th ed. Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Prader-Willi syndrome.Genet Med. 2012; 14: 10-26
- Health characteristics and consultation patterns of people with intellectual disability: a crosssectional database study in English general practice.Br J Gen Pract. 2016; 66: e264-e270