- •Frailty is highly prevalent among elderly subjects undergoing TAVI and it should be assessed in the therapeutic decision-making for those patients.
- •We examined 1-year survival of a large real-world cohort of TAVI patients treated with new generation devices and stratified in 4 groups according to a comprehensive evaluation of frailty.
- •We concluded that the occurrence of combined frailty (functional and metabolic) had a significant and incremental impact on 1-year mortality.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56 (United States): M146-M156
- 2021 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2022; 43: 561-632
- The pandora’s box of frailty assessments: which is the best for clinical purposes in TAVI patients? A critical review.J Clin Med. 2021; 104506
- Measurement and prognosis of frail patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e040459
- Impact of malnutrition on outcomes following transcatheter aortic valve implantation (from a National Cohort).Am J Cardiol. 2020; 125 (United States): 1096-1101
- Sarcopenia detected by computed tomography: a simple tool for screening transcatheter aortic valve implantation candidates.J Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 23 (Hagerstown). United States: 69-70
- One-year outcomes after surgical versus transcatheter aortic valve replacement with newer generation devices.J Clin Med. 2021; 103703
- Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the valve academic research consortium-2 consensus document (VARC-2).Eur J Cardio Thorac Surg. 2012; 42 (Off J Eur Assoc Cardio Thoracic Surg Germany): S45-S60
- A brief clinical instrument to classify frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 1999; 353 (London, England). England: 205-206
- Geriatric nutritional risk index: a new index for evaluating at-risk elderly medical patients.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82 (United States): 777-783
- Malnutrition screening and assessment in hospitalised older people: a review.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 23 (France): 431-441
- Geriatric nutritional risk index as a predictor for mortality: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Nutr Res. 2019; 71 (United States): 8-20
- Frailty in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement: prognostic value of the geriatric nutritional risk index.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2021; 12: 577-585
- The statistical evaluation of medical tests for classification and prediction.Oxford University Press, USA2003
- The inconsistency of ‘optimal’ cutpoints obtained using two criteria based on the receiver operating characteristic curve.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 670-675
- Computed tomography measured psoas muscle attenuation predicts mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 23 (Hagerstown) United States: 60-68
- Morphometric and traditional frailty assessment in transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Cardiovasc Med. 2020; 21 (Hagerstown) United States: 779-786
- Impact of frailty and prefrailty on outcomes of transcatheter or surgical aortic valve replacement.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2022; 15 (United States)e011375
- Malnutrition and mortality in frail and non-frail older adults undergoing aortic valve replacement.Circulation. 2018; 138 (United States): 2202-2211
- Renal failure after trans-catheter aortic valve implantation.Eur J Intern Med. 2021; 83 (Netherlands): 86-87
- BMI and acute kidney injury post transcatheter aortic valve replacement: unveiling the obesity paradox.J Cardiovasc Med. 2021; 22 (Hagerstown) United States: 579-585
- Kidney function according to different equations in patients admitted to a cardiology unit and impact on outcome.J Clin Med. 2022; 11: 891
- Relation of frailty to outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve replacement (from the PARTNER trial).Am J Cardiol. 2015; 116: 264-269
- Heart failure association/European society of cardiology position paper on frailty in patients with heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2019; 21 (England): 1299-1305
- Aspirin with or without clopidogrel after transcatheter aortic-valve implantation.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383 (United States): 1447-1457
- Management of antithrombotic therapy in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation: a consensus document of the ESC Working Group on thrombosis and the European association of percutaneous cardiovascular interventions (EAPCI), in collabo.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42 (England): 2265-2269
- Frequency and consequences of cognitive impairmentin patients underwent transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Am J Cardiol. 2018; 122 (United States): 844-850