- •VKA cease might be considered in specific cases after a careful risk assessment.
- •CV risk factors control is mandatory in APS patients after ischemic stroke.
- •Additional tests in single LA positive patients are warranted to avoid overtreatment.
- •ENA profiling and “extra-criteria aPL” testing are keys for preconception counseling.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- International consensus statement on an update of the classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome (APS).J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 295-306https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2006.01753.x
- Development of a new international antiphospholipid syndrome classification criteria phase I/II report: generation and reduction of candidate criteria.Arthritis Care Res. 2021; 73 (Hoboken): 1490-1501https://doi.org/10.1002/ACR.24520
- Diagnosis and management of the antiphospholipid syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2010-2021https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMRA1705454
- Antibodies to domain 4/5 (Dm4/5) of β2-glycoprotein 1 (β2GP1) in different antiphospholipid (aPL) antibody profiles.Thromb Res. 2015; 136: 161-163https://doi.org/10.1016/J.THROMRES.2015.04.031
- New insight into antiphospholipid syndrome: antibodies to β2glycoprotein I-domain 5 fail to induce thrombi in rats.Haematologica. 2019; 104: 819-826https://doi.org/10.3324/HAEMATOL.2018.198119
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: CHEST guideline and expert panel report.Chest. 2016; 149: 315-352https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CHEST.2015.11.026
- Thrombotic recurrences and bleeding events in APS vascular patients: a review from the literature and a comparison with the APS piedmont cohort.Autoimmun Rev. 2013; 12: 826-831https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AUTREV.2012.11.007
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome during pregnancy: diagnostic concepts.Front Immunol. 2015; 6https://doi.org/10.3389/FIMMU.2015.00205
- Frequency of vascular and pregnancy morbidity in patients with low vs. moderate-to-high titers of antiphospholipid antibodies.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2015; 26: 261-266https://doi.org/10.1097/MBC.0000000000000218
- Antiplatelet therapy in ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack.Stroke. 2019; 50: 773-778https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.118.023954
- 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018; 53: 34-78https://doi.org/10.1093/EJCTS/EZX334
- Cardioembolic stroke.Circ Res. 2017; 120: 514-526https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.116.308407
- Efficacy and safety of triple therapy versus dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing coronary stenting: a meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2018; 13https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0199232
- EULAR recommendations for the management of antiphospholipid syndrome in adults.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; (annrheumdis-2019-215213)https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2019-215213
- Antiphospholipid syndrome and anticoagulation quality: a clinical challenge.Atherosclerosis. 2016; 244: 48-50https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ATHEROSCLEROSIS.2015.10.105
- A comparison of two intensities of warfarin for the prevention of recurrent thrombosis in patients with the antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1133-1138https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMOA035241
- Potential use of statins in the treatment of antiphospholipid syndrome.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012; 14: 87-94https://doi.org/10.1007/S11926-011-0222-6
- Lupus anticoagulants are stronger risk factors for thrombosis than anticardiolipin antibodies in the antiphospholipid syndrome: a systematic review of the literature.Blood. 2003; 101: 1827-1832https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2002-02-0441
- GAPSS: the global anti-phospholipid syndrome score.Rheumatology. 2013; 52 (Oxford): 1397-1403https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kes388
- Lupus anticoagulant detection in anticoagulated patients. Guidance from the Scientific and Standardization Committee for lupus anticoagulant/antiphospholipid antibodies of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1569-1575https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14846
- International multicenter, multiplatform study to validate Taipan snake venom time as a lupus anticoagulant screening test with ecarin time as the confirmatory test: communication from the ISTH SSC subcommittee on lupus anticoagulant/antiphospholipid antibodies.J Thromb Haemost. 2021; 19: 3177-3192https://doi.org/10.1111/JTH.15438
- Lupus anticoagulants and the risk of a first episode of deep venous thrombosis.J Thromb Haemost. 2005; 3: 1993-1997https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1538-7836.2005.01485.X
- Clinical course of high-risk patients diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 237-242https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03674.x
- Incidence of a first thromboembolic event in carriers of isolated lupus anticoagulant.Thromb Res. 2015; 135: 46-49https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2014.10.013
- Clinical relevance of isolated lupus anticoagulant positivity in patients with thrombotic antiphospholipid syndrome.Thromb Haemost. 2021; 121: 1220-1227https://doi.org/10.1055/A-1344-4271
- Additional laboratory tests to improve on the diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome: response from pengo.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 3118-3119https://doi.org/10.1111/JTH.15026
- Detection of lupus anticoagulant in the era of direct oral anticoagulants.Autoimmun Rev. 2017; 16: 173-178https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2016.12.010
- Reliability of lupus anticoagulant and anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin autoantibodies in antiphospholipid syndrome: a multicenter study.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 376https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00376
- Reliability of lupus anticoagulant and anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin autoantibodies in antiphospholipid syndrome: a multicenter study.Front Immunol. 2019; 10https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00376
- Evidence-based recommendations for the prevention and long-term management of thrombosis in antiphospholipid antibody-positive patients: report of a task force at the 13th international congress on antiphospholipid antibodies.Lupus. 2011; 20: 206-218https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203310395803
- Pathogenesis of antiphospholipid syndrome: understanding the antibodies.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011; 7: 330-339https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2011.52
- Antiphospholipid syndrome: antibodies to domain 1 of β2-glycoprotein 1 correctly classify patients at risk.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 782-787https://doi.org/10.1111/JTH.12865
- Autoantibodies to domain 1 of beta 2 glycoprotein I determined using a novel chemiluminescence immunoassay demonstrate association with thrombosis in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome.Lupus. 2016; 25: 911-916https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203316640366
- Role of anti-domain 1- β 2 glycoprotein I antibodies in the diagnosis and risk stratification of antiphospholipid syndrome: comment.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 2076-2078https://doi.org/10.1111/JTH.13425
- Anti-beta-2-glycoprotein I domain 1 identifies antiphospholipid antibodies-related injuries in patients with concomitant lupus nephritis.J Nephrol. 2020; 33: 757-762https://doi.org/10.1007/S40620-019-00698-9
- Beyond thrombosis: anti-β2GPI domain 1 antibodies identify late pregnancy morbidity in anti-phospholipid syndrome.J Autoimmun. 2018; 90: 76-83https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JAUT.2018.02.002
- Incidence of a first thromboembolic event in asymptomatic carriers of high-risk antiphospholipid antibody profile: a multicenter prospective study.Blood. 2011; 118: 4714-4718https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-03-340232
- Antiphosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies: an update on their association with clinical manifestations of antiphospholipid syndrome.Thromb Haemost. 2020; 120: 592-598https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1705115
- Differentiating between UCTD and early-stage SLE: from definitions to clinical approach.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2022; 18: 9-21https://doi.org/10.1038/S41584-021-00710-2
- Analysis of risk factors for the development of thrombotic complications in antiphospholipid antibody positive lupus patients.Lupus. 2007; 16: 39-45https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203306074767
- Risk factors for thrombosis and primary thrombosis prevention in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with or without antiphospholipid antibodies.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2009; 61: 29-36https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24232
- A multicentre study of 244 pregnancies in undifferentiated connective tissue disease: maternal/fetal outcomes and disease evolution.Rheumatology. 2020; 59 (Oxford): 2412-2418https://doi.org/10.1093/RHEUMATOLOGY/KEZ620
ESHRE Guideline Group on RPL, Bender Atik R, Christiansen OB, Elson J, Kolte AM, Lewis S, Middeldorp S, Nelen W, Peramo B, Quenby S, Vermeulen N, Goddijn M. ESHRE guideline: recurrent pregnancy loss. Hum Reprod Open. 2018 Apr 6;2018(2):hoy004. doi:10.1093/hropen/hoy004.
- Number and sequence of preceding miscarriages and maternal age for the prediction of antiphospholipid syndrome in women with recurrent miscarriage.Fertil Steril. 2013; 99: 188-192https://doi.org/10.1016/J.FERTNSTERT.2012.09.002
- Comparative study between obstetric antiphospholipid syndrome and obstetric morbidity related with antiphospholipid antibodies.Med Clin. 2018; 151 (Barc): 215-222https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medcli.2017.11.017
- Treatment of 139 pregnancies in antiphospholipidpositive women not fulfilling criteria for antiphospholipid syndrome: a retrospective study.J Rheumatol. 2013; 40: 425-429https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.120576