- •A paucity of data exists describing pregnancy outcomes for women receiving preconception counselling.
- •Improved outcomes are described in the studies that we identified.
- •This supports the routine inclusion of PCC for women with chronic medical conditions.
- •Further studies are required to broaden the evidence base.
Abbreviations:AED (Antiepileptic Drug), APGAR (Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration), APS (Antiphospholipid Syndrome), COVID-19 (Coronavirus-19), CVD (Cardiovascular Disease), HCP (Healthcare Professional), IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation), MeSH (Medical Sibject Headings), NTD (Neural Tube Defect), PCC (Preconception Counselling), PRISMA (Preferred Reporting System for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis), RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis), ROBIS (Risk Of Bias In Systematic review), SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematous), SUDEP (Sudden or Unexpected Death in Epilepsy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
WHO. Preconception Care 2013 [Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/205637/B5124.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y] accessed 13th April 2022.
- Increasing incidence and prevalence of the inflammatory bowel diseases with time, based on systematic review.Gastroenterology. 2012; 142 (e42quiz e30[published Online First: 20111014]): 46-54https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.10.001
- Diagnosis and management of rheumatoid arthritis.Am Fam Phys. 2011; 84: 1245-1252
- Real-world incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus in Alberta, Canada.Rheumatol Int. 2018; 38 ([published Online First: 20180709]): 1721-1726https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-018-4091-4
- Fertility in women with rheumatoid arthritis: influence of disease activity and medication.Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 74 ([published Online First: 20140515]): 1836-1841https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-205383
- 2018 ESC Guidelines for the management of cardiovascular diseases during pregnancy.Kardiol Pol. 2019; 77: 245-326https://doi.org/10.5603/KP.2019.0049
NICE. Diabetes in pregnancy: management from preconception to the postnatal period 2020 [Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3] accessed 20th January 2022.
- Inflammatory bowel disease in pregnancy clinical care pathway: a report from the American gastroenterological association IBD parenthood project working group.Gastroenterology. 2019; 156 ([published Online First: 20190116]): 1508-1524https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2018.12.022
RCOG. Epilepsy in pregnancy (Green-top Guideline No. 68), 2016 [Available from www.rcog.org.uk/media/rzldnacf/gtg68_epilepsy.pdf.
Hypertension in pregnancy: Diagnosis and management 2019 [Available from: www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG133.
RCOG. Pregnancy and breast cancer (Green-top Guideline No. 12), 2011 [Available from www.rcog.org.uk/media/2q4jb0kz/gtg_12.pdf.
RCOG. Reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism during pregnancy and the puerperium 2015 [Available from: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/gtg-37a.pdf].
- Pregnancy in inflammatory bowel disease: experience of a chilean cohort.Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 44 ([published Online First: 20201024]): 277-285https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gastrohep.2020.08.005
- The importance of pregnancy planning in lupus pregnancies.Lupus. 2021; 30 (In press): 741-751https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203321989803
- Outcomes of planned pregnancy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and their neonates.Egyptian Rheumatologist. 2021; 43: 141-145https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejr.2021.01.001
- Saving lives, improving mothers’ care - lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland confidential enquiries into maternal deaths and morbidity 2017-19.Epidemiology ONP, Unit. University of Oxford, 2021
- Pre-pregnancy counselling for women with chronic kidney disease: a retrospective analysis of nine years' experience.BMC Nephrol. 2015; 16 ([published Online First: 20150314]): 28https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-015-0024-6
- The effect of preconception counselling on lifestyle and other behaviour before and during pregnancy.Womens Health Issues. 2008; 18 (6 Suppl): S117-S125https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2008.09.003
- Risk of minor and major fetal malformations in diabetics with high haemoglobin A1c values in early pregnancy.Br Med J. 1984; 289 (Clin Res Ed): 345-346https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.289.6441.345
- Preconception care: screening and management of chronic disease and promoting psychological health.Reprod Health. 2014; 11 (Suppl 3[published Online First: 20140926]): S5https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4755-11-S3-S5
- Preconception care reduces relapse of inflammatory bowel disease during pregnancy.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14 (e1[published Online First: 20160318]): 1285-1292https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2016.03.018
- Do women with epilepsy benefit from epilepsy specific pre-conception care?.Epilepsy Res. 2020; 160 ([published Online First: 20191223])106260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2019.106260
- Proactive pre-conception counselling for women with epilepsy-is it effective?.Seizure. 1999; 8: 322-327https://doi.org/10.1053/seiz.1999.0325
- On the issue of preconception care in patients with pathology of the cardiovascular system.Arch Euromed. 2018; : 59-63
- Preconception obstetrics and rheumatology consultation: a protective factor against spontaneous abortion in women with autoimmune rheumatic disorders.J Clin Rheumatol. 2022; 28: e166-ee70https://doi.org/10.1097/RHU.0000000000001667
A. KMe. Saving lives, improving mothers' care: MBRRACE-UK; 2020 [Available from: https://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/assets/downloads/mbrrace-uk/reports/maternal-report-2020/MBRRACE-UK_Maternal_Report_Dec_2020_v10.pdf] accessed 3rd February 2021.
- Infertility treatment and risk of severe maternal morbidity: a propensity score-matched cohort study.CMAJ. 2019; 191 (8-E27): E11https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.181124
- Preconception counselling for low health literate women: an exploration of determinants in the Netherlands.Reprod Health. 2018; 15 ([published Online First: 20181123]): 192https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-018-0617-1
- Non-adherence to medications in pregnant ulcerative colitis patients contributes to disease flares and adverse pregnancy outcomes.Dig Dis Sci. 2021; 66 ([published Online First: 20200406]): 577-586https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-020-06221-6
- Outcomes of pregnant women with refractory epilepsy.Seizure. 2019; 69 ([published Online First: 20190513]): 251-257https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2019.05.009
- Adherence to medication for chronic disorders during pregnancy: results from a multinational study.Int J Clin Pharm. 2014; 36 ([published Online First: 20131027]): 145-153https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-013-9864-y
- Perspectives of adult rheumatologists regarding family planning counseling and care: a qualitative study.Arthritis Care Res. 2020; 72 (In press): 452-458https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.23872
- Hyperemesis gravidarum in the primary care setting: cross-sectional study of GPs.BJGP Open. 2021; ([published Online First: 20211207])https://doi.org/10.3399/BJGPO.2021.0119
- Effects and safety of periconceptional folate supplementation for preventing birth defects.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; ([published Online First: 20101006])CD007950https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007950.pub2
NICE. Pre-conception - advice and management, 2021 [www.cks.nice.org.uk/topics/pre-conception-advice-management].
- The longer term outcome of children born to mothers with epilepsy.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 1575-1583https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2003.029132
- Risks of epilepsy during pregnancy: how much do we really know?.JAMA Neurol. 2015; 72: 973-974https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2015.1356
- Affect of seizures during gestation on pregnancy outcomes in women with epilepsy.Arch Neurol. 2009; 66: 979-984https://doi.org/10.1001/archneurol.2009.142
- The Influence of disease activity on pregnancy outcomes in women with inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Crohns Colitis. 2021; 15: 719-732https://doi.org/10.1093/ecco-jcc/jjaa225
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of pregnancy outcomes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and lupus nephritis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5 ([published Online First: 20100805]): 2060-2068https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.00240110
- Adverse impact of rheumatoid arthritis on pregnancy outcomes: a Saudi Arabia prospective multicenter study.Open Access Rheumatol. 2021; 13 ([published Online First: 20210615]): 167-175https://doi.org/10.2147/OARRR.S315867
- Improving pregnancy outcomes in women with diabetes mellitus: modern management.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2019; 15: 406-416https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-019-0197-3