- •Patients with atrial fibrillation often suffer from other comorbidities such as chronic kidney disease, advanced age or prior thromboembolism.
- •These patients were treated infrequently with a holistic care approached as assessed by adherence to the ABC pathway.
- •ABC pathway adherence was associated with a significant reduction in the composite risk of all-cause death, thromboembolism and acute coronary syndrome.
- •Patients who fulfilled an increasing number of ABC criteria had a progressive improvement in long-term prognosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Worldwide epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: a Global Burden of Disease 2010 Study.Circulation. 2014; 129 (Feb): 837-847
- Global epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: an increasing epidemic and public health challenge.Int J stroke. 2021; 16 (Feb): 217-221
- Impact of atrial fibrillation on the risk of death: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 1998; 98 (Sep): 946-952
- A population-based study of the long-term risks associated with atrial fibrillation: 20-year follow-up of the Renfrew/Paisley study.Am J Med. 2002; 113 (Oct): 359-364
- Incidence of Atrial Fibrillation and Relationship With Cardiovascular Events, Heart Failure, and Mortality A Community-Based Study From the Netherlands.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66 (Sep): 1000-1007
- Atrial Fibrillation in the United Kingdom: predicting Costs of an Emerging Epidemic Recognising and Forecasting the Cost Drivers of Atrial Fibrillation-related costs.Eur Hear J - Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2022; 8 (Dec): 187-194
- The 4S-AF Scheme (Stroke Risk; Symptoms; Severity of Burden; Substrate): a Novel Approach to In-Depth Characterization (Rather than Classification) of Atrial Fibrillation.Thromb Haemost. 2021; 121 (Aug): 270-278
- The ABC pathway: an integrated approach to improve AF management.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; 14 (Nov): 627-628
- Integrated Care Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation and Risk of Cardiovascular Events: the ABC (Atrial fibrillation Better Care) Pathway in the ATHERO-AF Study Cohort.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94 (Jul): 1261-1267
- Compliance of Atrial Fibrillation Treatment with the Atrial Fibrillation Better Care (ABC) Pathway Improves the Clinical Outcomes in the Middle East Population: a Report from the Gulf Survey of Atrial Fibrillation Events (SAFE) Registry.J Clin Med. 2020; 9 (Apr): 1286
- Adherence to the “Atrial Fibrillation Better Care” Pathway in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: impact on Clinical Outcomes-A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of 285,000 Patients.Thromb Haemost. 2022; 122 (May): 406-414
- 2020 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur Heart J. 2021; 42 (Aug): 373-498
- 2021 Focused Update Consensus Guidelines of the Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society on Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation: executive Summary.Thromb Haemost. 2022; 122 (Nov): 20-47
- Relation of outcomes to ABC (Atrial Fibrillation Better Care) pathway adherent care in European patients with atrial fibrillation: an analysis from the ESC-EHRA EORP Atrial Fibrillation General Long-Term (AFGen LT) Registry.Europace. 2021; 23 (Oct): 174-183
- Contemporary stroke prevention strategies in 11 096 European patients with atrial fibrillation: a report from the EURObservational Research Programme on Atrial Fibrillation (EORP-AF) Long-Term General Registry.Europace. 2018; 20 (May): 747-757
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150 (May): 604-612
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37 (Oct): 2893-2962
- Outcome parameters for trials in atrial fibrillation: recommendations from a consensus conference organized by the German Atrial Fibrillation Competence NETwork and the European Heart Rhythm Association.Europace. 2007; 9 (Nov): 1006-1023
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the Euro Heart Survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137 (Feb): 263-272
- Epidemiology : study design and data analysis.Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton2005 (381-426 p)
- Methods in observational epidemiology [Internet].Oxford University Press, New York; Oxford1986 (254-284 p. Available from)
- A simple method to calculate the confidence interval of a standardized mortality ratio (SMR).Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 131 (Feb): 373-375
- Improved Population-Based Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation by Compliance with the Simple ABC (Atrial Fibrillation Better Care) Pathway for Integrated Care Management: a Nationwide Cohort Study.Thromb Haemost. 2019; 119 (Oct): 1695-1703
- Integrated Care of Atrial Fibrillation Using the ABC (Atrial fibrillation Better Care) Pathway Improves Clinical Outcomes in Chinese Population: an Analysis From the Chinese Atrial Fibrillation Registry.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021; 8762245
- Compliance of atrial fibrillation treatment with the ABC pathway in patients with concomitant diabetes mellitus in the Middle East based on the Gulf SAFE registry.Eur J Clin Invest. 2021; 51 (Auge13385)
- Application of the simple atrial fibrillation better care pathway for integrated care management in frail patients with atrial fibrillation: a nationwide cohort study.J arrhythmia. 2020; 36 (Aug): 668-677
- Comprehensive Management With the ABC (Atrial Fibrillation Better Care) Pathway in Clinically Complex Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: a Post Hoc Ancillary Analysis From the AFFIRM Trial.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9 (May)e014932
- Integrated care and outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation and comorbidities.Eur J Clin Invest. 2021; (Jan;e13498)