- •Pulmonary rehabilitation (PR) is recommended after COPD exacerbations.
- •We need priority access criteria to programs according to baseline characteristics.
- •Airflow severity grades or outcomes assessed do not influence success rate of PR.
- •Barthel dyspnoea index and short physical performance battery are sensitive to PR.
Abbreviations:AECOPD (Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), ADL (Activities of daily living), Bid (Barthel index dyspnoea), CAT (COPD assessment test), CIRS (Cumulative illness rating scale), COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CRF (Chronic respiratory failure), ECOPD (Exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), FEV1 (Forced expiratory volume at one second), FVC (Forced vital capacity), GOLD (Global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease), MCID (Minimum clinically important difference), MRC (Medical research council), PR (Pulmonary rehabilitation), SPPB (Short physical performance battery), 6MWT (Six-minute walking test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
2022 GOLD REPORTS. Global Strategy for Prevention, diagnosis and management of COPD: 2022 Report. Available at: https://goldcopd.org/2022-gold-reports-2/. Accessed September 29, 2022.
- The impact of exercise training on fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Pulmonology. 2020; 26: 304-313
- Aerobic exercise training in very severe COPD: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 96: 541-548
- Association between initiation of pulmonary rehabilitation after hospitalization for COPD and 1-year survival among medicare beneficiaries.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1813-1823
- Association between initiation of pulmonary rehabilitation and rehospitalizations in patients hospitalized with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 204: 1015-1023
- Standardised questionnaire on respiratory symptoms: a statement prepared and approved by the MRC Committee on the aetiology of chronic bronchitis (MRC breathlessness score).Br Med J. 1960; 2: 1665
- Physiological rationale of commonly used clinical exercise tests.Pulmonology. 2020; 26: 159-165
- Development and first validation of the COPD Assessment Test.Eur Respir J. 2009; 34: 648-654
- Classification of cardiorespiratory fitness using the six-minute walk test in adults: comparison with cardiopulmonary exercise testing.Pulmonology. 2021; 27: 500-508
- Development of a Barthel Index based on dyspnoea for patients with respiratory diseases.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2016; 11: 1199-1206
- The severity of acute exacerbations of COPD and the effectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation.Respir Med. 2021; 184106465
- The short physical performance battery is a discriminative tool for identifying patients with COPD at risk of disability.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015; 10: 2619-2626
- Physiological and clinical characteristics of patients with COPD admitted to an inpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program: a real-life study.Pulmonology. 2019; 25: 71-78
- Effectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease according to inhaled therapy: the Maugeri study.Respir Med. 2022; 202106967
- Inhaled triple therapy in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and indications of pulmonary rehabilitation.Eur J Intern Med. 2022; 105: 125-127
- Gender and age as determinants of success of pulmonary rehabilitation in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Arch Bronconeumol. 2022; S0300-2896 (Online ahead of print): 00568-00573https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arbres.2022.09.008
- Cumulative illness rating scale.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1968; 16: 622-626
- Standardisation of spirometry.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 319-338
- ERS Global Lung Function Initiative. ERS global lung function initiative. Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- Minimal clinically important difference in barthel index dyspnea in patients with COPD.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2020; 15: 2591-2599
- Power of outcome measurements to detect clinically significant changes in pulmonary rehabilitation of patients with COPD.Chest. 2002; 121: 1092-1098
- An official European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society technical standard: field walking tests in chronic respiratory disease.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 1428-1446
- Reference equations for the six-minute walk in healthy adults.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 158: 1384-1387
- Norwegian reference values for the Short Physical Performance Battery (SPPB): the Tromsø study.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19: 216
- Meaningful change and responsiveness in common physical performance measures in older adults.Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 743-749
- Minimum clinically important difference for the COPD assesment test: a prospective analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2014; 2: 195-203
- Intensity of training and physiologic adaptation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 155: 555-561
- Relationship between field walking tests and incremental cycle ergometry in COPD.Respirology. 2008; 13: 856-862
- Increasing implementation and delivery of pulmonary rehabilitation: key messages from the new ATS/ERS policy statement.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 1336-1341
- Virtual reality for COPD rehabilitation: a technological perspective.Pulmonology. 2022; 28: 119-133
- Functional status following pulmonary rehabilitation: responders and non-responders.J Clin Med. 2022; 11: 518
- Determinants of success.Eur Respir J. 2011; 38: 1215-1218
- Differential response to pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD: multidimensional profiling.Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 1625-1635
- Multidimensional outcome assessment of pulmonary rehabilitation in traits-based clusters of COPD patients.PLoS One. 2022; 17e0263657
- Minimal clinically important differences in pharmacological trials.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 250-255
- Measures of physical performance in COVID-19 patients: a mapping review.Pulmonology. 2021; 27: 518-528
- Impact of acute exacerbations of COPD on patients' health status beyond pulmonary function: a scoping review.Pulmonology. 2022; (Jun 14:S2531-0437(22)00109-XEpub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pulmoe.2022.04.004
- Physical activity characteristics across GOLD quadrants depend on the questionnaire Used.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0151255
- Moving towards a treatable traits model of care for the management of obstructive airways diseases.Respir Med. 2021; 187106572
- COPD: how can evidence from randomised controlled trials apply to patients treated in everyday clinical practice?.Pulmonology. 2022; 28: 431-439
- Time course and recovery of exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 1608-1613