- •There is lack of evidence that etiological investigation influences outcomes in CAP.
- •In a prospective study, we evaluate if microbial identification impacts mortality.
- •Etiology identification was not significantly associated with mortality (aOR=1.36, p=0.2).
- •This lack of association was verified in all drug resistant pathogen risk groups.
- •Results of etiological investigation have a limited influence in CAP management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization among U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 415-427https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1500245
- Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community- acquired pneumonia. an official clinical practice guideline of the American thoracic society and infectious diseases society of America.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200 (Oct 1): e45-e67https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201908-1581ST
- Multidrug-resistant pathogens in hospitalised patients coming from the community with pneumonia: a European perspective.Thorax. 2013; 68 (NovEpub 2013 Jun 17. PMID: 23774884): 997-999https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2013-203384
- Burden and risk factors for pseudomonas aeruginosa community-acquired pneumonia: a multinational point prevalence study of hospitalised patients.Eur Respir J. 2018; 521709910https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01190-2017
- Global initiative for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia (GLIMP): an international, observational cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1364-1376https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30267-5
- The impact of blood cultures on antibiotic therapy in pneumococcal pneumonia.Chest. 1999; 116 (NovPMID: 10559087.)): 1278-1281https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.116.5.1278
- Selective use of blood cultures in emergency department pneumonia patients.J Emerg Med. 2007; 33 (JulEpub 2007 Jun 18. PMID: 17630066.)): 1-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2006.12.034
- Applying sputum as a diagnostic tool in pneumonia: limited yield, minimal impact on treatment decisions.Chest. 2002; 121 (MayPMID: 12006433): 1486-1492https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.121.5.1486
- Prospective study of the usefulness of sputum Gram stain in the initial approach to community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 31 (OctEpub 2000 Oct 12. PMID: 11049763): 869-874https://doi.org/10.1086/318151
- Does sputum culture affect the management and/or outcome of community-acquired pneumonia?.East Mediterr Health J. 2009; 15 (Jul-AugPMID: 20187530): 792-799
- Limited value of routine microbiological diagnostics in patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia.Scand J Infect Dis. 2002; 34 (PMID: 12587618): 873-879https://doi.org/10.1080/0036554021000026967
- Comparison between pathogen directed antibiotic treatment and empirical broad spectrum antibiotic treatment in patients with community acquired pneumonia: a prospective randomised study.Thorax. 2005; 60 (AugPMID: 16061709; PMCID: PMC1747487): 672-678https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2004.030411
- Factors associated with unknown aetiology in patients with community-acquired pneumonia.Eur Respir J. 2002; 20 (NovPMID: 12449182): 1254-1262https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.02.01942001
- Breathing hope into directed therapy for pulmonary infections.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 204 (Nov 1PMID: 34461037; PMCID: PMC8663018): 1011-1013https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202108-1809ED
- Joint taskforce of the european respiratory society and european society for clinical microbiology and infectious diseases. Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections - full version.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: E1-59https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03672.x
- BTS guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: update.Thorax. 2009; 64 (2009) (iii1-iii55)https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.121434
- International perspective on the new 2019 American thoracic society/infectious diseases society of America community-acquired pneumonia guideline: a critical appraisal by a global expert panel.Chest. 2020; 158 (NovEpub 2020 Aug 25. PMID: 32858009; PMCID: PMC7445464): 1912-1918https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2020.07.089
- Pneumonia.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021; 7: 25https://doi.org/10.1038/s41572-021-00259-0
- Surviving sepsis campaign guidelines committee including the pediatric subgroup. surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012.Intensive Care Med. 2013; 39: 165-228
- Infectious diseases society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 388-416https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200405-644ST
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187 (Feb 15): 347-365https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201204-0596PP
- Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of diseases of the heart and great vessels.9th ed. Little, Brown & Co, Boston, Mass1994: 253-266
- Improving global outcomes chronic kidney disease guideline development work group members. evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease: synopsis of the kidney disease: improving global outcomes 2012 clinical practice guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158 (Jun 4): 825-830https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-11-201306040-00007
- Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices.Br J Surg. 1973; 60 (Aug): 646-649https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800600817
- Infectious diseases society of America/American thoracic society consensus guidelines on the management of communityacquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44 (1 March): S27-S72https://doi.org/10.1086/511159
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Progress in the development of the index of ADL.Gerontologist. 1970; 10: 20-30https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/10.1_part_1.20
- Risk factors associated with potentially antibiotic-resistant pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015; 12: 153-160https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201407-305OC
- Risk factors for community-onset pneumonia caused by drug-resistant pathogens: a prospective cohort study.Eur J Intern Med. 2022; 96 (FebEpub 2021 Oct 18. PMID: 34670681): 66-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2021.10.005
- Development of a new predictive model for polypathological patients. The PROFUND index.Eur J Intern Med. 2011; 22 (JunEpub 2010 Dec 22. PMID: 21570654): 311-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2010.11.012
- Multicentric evaluation of biofire filmarray pneumonia Panel for rapid bacteriological documentation of pneumonia.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2021; 27 (SepEpub 2020 Dec 1. PMID: 33276137): 1308-1314https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2020.11.014
- Laboratory diagnosis of pneumonia in the molecular age.Eur Respir J. 2016; 48 (DecEpub 2016 Nov 3. PMID: 27811073): 1764-1778https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01144-2016