- •CTEPH is a severe condition often following an episode of PE.
- •APL are present in around 12% of patients with CTEPH.
- •APL are a risk factor for recurrent PE that in turn is a risk factor for CTEPH.
- •APL should be tested in all the young patients (<50yrs) with unprovoked PE.
- •Pulmonary endarterectomy and warfarin are the mainstays of treatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- 2022 ESC/ERS guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension.Eur Respir J. 2022; 43: 3618-3731
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.Eur Respir J. 2019; 53: 1801915
- Incidence of recurrent venous thromboembolism and of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in patients after a first episode of pulmonary embolism.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2010; 30: 294-299
- Incidence of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension after acute pulmonary embolism: a contemporary view of the published literature.Eur Respir J. 2017; 49: 1601792
- Time from symptoms to definitive diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension: the delay study.Pulm Circ. 2013; 3: 89-94
- Impact of residual pulmonary obstruction on the long-term outcome of patients with pulmonary embolism.Eur Respir J. 2017; 49: 1601980
- Incidence of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension after pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2257-2264
- An epidemiological analysis of the burden of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in the USA, Europe and Japan.Eur Respir Rev. 2017; 26: 160121
- Long-term outcome of patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: results from an international prospective registry.Circulation. 2016; 133: 859-871
- Incidence and risk factors of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in patients with diagnosis of pulmonary embolism for the first time in real world.Clin Respir J. 2018; 12: 2551-2558
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH): results from an international prospective registry.Circulation. 2011; 124: 1973-1981
- International consensus statement on an update of the classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome (APS).J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 295-306
- The lung in antiphospholipid syndrome.Arch Bronconeumol. 2002; 38: 27-32
- The lung in the spectrum of antiphospholipid syndrome.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2013; 31: 452-457
- Morbidity and mortality in the antiphospholipid syndrome during a 10-year period: a multicentre prospective study of 1000 patients.Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 74: 1011-1018
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome: risk factors and management.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2022; 41: 208-216
- Antiphospholipid syndrome in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: a well-defined subgroup of patients.Thromb Haemost. 2019; 119: 1403-1408
- Additional laboratory tests to improve on the diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1846-1848
- Lupus anticoagulants are stronger risk factors for thrombosis than anticardiolipin antibodies in the antiphospholipid syndrome: a systematic review of the literature.Blood. 2003; 101: 1827-1832
- IgG antibodies that recognize epitope Gly40-Arg43 in domain I of beta 2-glycoprotein I cause LAC, and their presence correlates strongly with thrombosis.Blood. 2005; 105: 1540-1545
- Tetra positive thrombotic antiphospholipid syndrome: major contribution of anti-phosphatidyl-serine/prothrombin antibodies to lupus anticoagulant activity.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1124-1132
- Survey of lupus anticoagulant diagnosis by central evaluation of positive plasma samples.J Thromb Haemost. 2007; 5: 925-930
- Prevalence of aPhosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies and association with antiphospholipid antibody profiles in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Thromb Res. 2022; 214: 106-114
- Correct laboratory approach to APS diagnosis and monitoring.Autoimmun Rev. 2013; 12: 832-834
- Pathogenesis of antiphospholipid syndrome: understanding the antibodies.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011; 7: 330-339
- Risk factors for a first thrombotic event in antiphospholipid antibody carriers: a prospective multicentre follow-up study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 1083-1086
- Antibodies to domain 4/5 (Dm4/5) of beta2-Glycoprotein 1 (beta2GP1) in different antiphospholipid (aPL) antibody profiles.Thromb Res. 2015; 136: 161-163
- IgG/IgM antiphospholipid antibodies present in the classification criteria for the antiphospholipid syndrome: a critical review of their association with thrombosis.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 1530-1548
- Added value of non-criteria antiphospholipid antibodies for antiphospholipid syndrome: lessons learned from year-long routine measurements.Clin Rheumatol. 2019; 38: 371-378
- Value of isolated IgA anti-beta2 -glycoprotein I positivity in the diagnosis of the antiphospholipid syndrome.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2013; 65: 3186-3193
- The clinical relevance of IgA anticardiolipin and IgA anti-beta2 glycoprotein I antiphospholipid antibodies: a systematic review.Autoimmun Rev. 2013; 12: 421-425
Pengo V., Denas G. Antiphospholipid Syndrome in Patients with Venous Thromboembolism. Semin Thromb Hemost 2022.doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1749590. Epub ahead of print.
- Clinical course of high-risk patients diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 237-242
- Risk factors for pregnancy failure in patients with anti-phospholipid syndrome treated with conventional therapies: a multicentre, case-control study.Rheumatology. 2011; 50 (Oxford): 1684-1689
- Efficacy of the antiphospholipid score for the diagnosis of antiphospholipid syndrome and its predictive value for thrombotic events.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2012; 64: 504-512
- Antiphospholipid syndrome: antibodies to Domain 1 of beta2-glycoprotein 1 correctly classify patients at risk.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 782-787
- Association of autoantibodies against the phosphatidylserine-prothrombin complex with manifestations of the antiphospholipid syndrome and with the presence of lupus anticoagulant.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2000; 43: 1982-1993
- Discovery and characterization of 2 novel subpopulations of aPS/PT antibodies in patients at high risk of thrombosis.Blood Adv. 2019; 3: 1738-1749
- Role of anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies in antiphospholipid syndrome: Still matter of debate. Comment on: "Prevalence of aPhosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies and association with antiphospholipid antibody profiles in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis".Thromb Res. 2022; 218: 169-170
- Pulmonary hypertension and chronic cutaneous lupus erythematosus: association with the lupus anticoagulant.Arthritis Rheumatol. 1985; 28: 118
- High prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies in disseminated intravascular coagulation.Thromb Haemost. 1996; 75: 971
- Prevalence of antiphospholipid (aPL) antibodies among patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Intern Emerg Med. 2019; 14: 521-527
- Guidance from the scientific and standardization committee for lupus anticoagulant/antiphospholipid antibodies of the international society on thrombosis and haemostasis: update of the guidelines for lupus anticoagulant detection and interpretation.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 2828-2839
- Risk factors for venous thromboembolism.Circulation. 2003; 107: I9-16
- A global perspective on the epidemiology of pulmonary hypertension.Can J Cardiol. 2015; 31: 375-381
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: D92-D99
- Thromboendarterectomy as treatment in the antiphospholipid syndrome.MedGenMed. 2006; 8: 7
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy is a curative resolution for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension associated with antiphospholipid syndrome: a retrospective cohort study.Lupus. 2018; 27: 2206-2214
- Impact of high titre of antiphospholipid antibodies on postoperative outcome following pulmonary endarterectomy.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 10: 418-422
- Outcomes of patients with antiphospholipid syndrome after pulmonary endarterectomy.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014; 46: 116-120
- Results from the United States chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension registry: enrollment characteristics and 1-year follow-up.Chest. 2021; 160: 1822-1831
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.Swiss Med Wkly. 2018; 148: w14702
- A multicenter study of anticoagulation in operable chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 114-122
- Rivaroxaban vs warfarin in high-risk patients with antiphospholipid syndrome.Blood. 2018; 132: 1365-1371