- •A large SUA variation was associated with a higher risk of CVD and its subtypes.
- •Both a large rise or fall in SUA was associated with a higher risk of CVD.
- •The harmful effect of a large variation of SUA on CVD was more pronounced in older adults than that in young adults.
- •The hazardous effect of SUA variation on CVD was mainly induced by excessive inflammation and elevated blood pressure.
The association of serum uric acid (SUA) with cardiovascular disease (CVD) is inconsistent and limited by a single measurement of SUA. This study aimed to investigate the association of SUA variation, considering its magnitude and direction, with the risk of CVD.
This study included 41,578 participants with four biennial measurements of SUA during 2006–2012 from the Kailuan study. SUA variation was measured using the coefficient of variation (primary index), standard deviation, average real variability, and variability independent of mean, and the direction of variation was also assessed. Multivariate-adjusted Cox regressions were used to assess the associations, and Bayesian network was utilized to find the most important pathway from SUA variation to CVD.
During a median follow-up of 6.74 (interquartile range: 6.45–7.03) years, we identified 1,852 (4.45%) cases of incident CVD. A large SUA variation (top vs. bottom tertiles) was associated with a higher risk of CVD (hazard ratio [HR], 1.24; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.11–1.40), especially in older adults than that in young adults (Pint=0.0137). The higher risk of CVD was observed with both large rises (HR, 1.24; 95% CI, 1.10–1.39) and falls (HR, 1.19; 95% CI, 1.03–1.38) in SUA variation. The hazardous effect of SUA variation on CVD was mainly induced by excessive inflammation and elevated blood pressure. Similar results were observed for CVD subtypes.
Elevated SUA variation was associated with a higher risk of CVD, irrespective of the direction of SUA variation, and inflammation played an important role in the pathway.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The molecular physiology of uric acid homeostasis.Annu Rev Physiol. 2015; 77: 323-345
- Molecular physiology of urate transport.Physiology (Bethesda, Md). 2005; 20: 125-133
- Uric acid transport and disease.J Clin Investig. 2010; 120: 1791-1799
- Uric acid and hypertension: a review of evidence and future perspectives for the management of cardiovascular risk.Hypertension. 2022; (Dallas, Tex: 1979)101161hypertensionaha12217956
- Serum uric acid is associated with increased risk of posttransplantation diabetes in kidney transplant recipients: a prospective cohort study.Metab Clin Exp. 2021; 116154465
- The comparison of dyslipidemia and serum uric acid in patients with gout and asymptomatic hyperuricemia: a cross-sectional study.Lipids Health Dis. 2020; 19: 31
- Uric acid and chronic kidney disease: which is chasing which? Nephrology, dialysis, transplantation: official publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association.Eur Renal Assoc. 2013; 28: 2221-2228
- Serum uric acid levels and multiple health outcomes: umbrella review of evidence from observational studies, randomised controlled trials, and Mendelian randomisation studies.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2017; 357: j2376
- Uric acid and risk of myocardial infarction, stroke and congestive heart failure in 417,734 men and women in the Apolipoprotein MOrtality RISk study (AMORIS).J Intern Med. 2009; 266: 558-570
- Uric acid is a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke: the Rotterdam study.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1503-1507
- Uric acid expression in carotid atherosclerotic plaque and serum uric acid are associated with cerebrovascular events.Hypertension. 2022; 79 (Dallas, Tex: 1979): 1814-1823
- Associations of serum uric acid with clustering of cardiovascular risk factors and a 10-year atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk score in Jiangsu adults, China.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2021; 14: 3447-3460
- Serum uric acid and fatal myocardial infarction: detection of prognostic cut-off values: the URRAH (Uric Acid Right for Heart Health) study.J Hypertens. 2020; 38: 412-419
- Identification of the uric acid thresholds predicting an increased total and cardiovascular mortality over 20 years.Hypertension. 2020; 75 (Dallas, Tex: 1979): 302-308
- Association between uric acid, carotid intima-media thickness, and cardiovascular events: prospective results from the IMPROVE study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e020419
- Uric acid and cardiovascular disease risk reclassification: findings from NHANES III.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2015; 22: 513-518
- Causal assessment of serum urate levels in cardiometabolic diseases through a mendelian randomization study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 407-416
- Serum uric acid and coronary heart disease in 9,458 incident cases and 155,084 controls: prospective study and meta-analysis.PLoS Med. 2005; 2: e76
- Gout and risk of fracture in women: a prospective cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017; 69: 422-428
- Association of age of onset of hypertension with cardiovascular diseases and mortality.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 2921-2930
- Association of trajectory of cardiovascular health score and incident cardiovascular disease.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e194758
- Associations of longitudinal trajectories in body roundness index with mortality and cardiovascular outcomes: a cohort study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2022; 115: 671-678
- Association between visit-to-visit blood pressure variability in early adulthood and myocardial structure and function in later life.JAMA Cardiol. 2020;
- Visit-to-visit variability of lipids measurements and the risk of stroke and stroke types: a prospective cohort study.J Stroke. 2020; 22: 119-129
- Recommendations on stroke prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. Report of the WHO task force on stroke and other cerebrovascular disorders.Stroke. 1989; 20: 1407-1431
- Myocardial infarction and coronary deaths in the World Health Organization MONICA Project. Registration procedures, event rates, and case-fatality rates in 38 populations from 21 countries in four continents.Circulation. 1994; 90: 583-612
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Association of variability in uric acid and future clinical outcomes of patient with coronary artery disease undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 297: 40-46
- Uric acid variability at midlife as an independent predictor of coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality.PLoS ONE. 2019; 14e0220532
- Serum uric acid increases risk of cancer incidence and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mediators Inflamm. 2015; 2015764250
- U-Shaped association between serum uric acid levels with cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in the elderly: the role of malnourishment.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7
- Visit-to-visit variability of serum uric acid measurements and the risk of all-cause mortality in the general population.Arthritis Res Ther. 2021; 23: 74
- Is serum uric acid level associated with all-cause mortality in high-functioning older persons: MacArthur studies of successful aging?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1679-1684
- A systematic examination of the 2013 ACC/AHA pooled cohort risk assessment tool for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: 959-968
- Combined healthy lifestyle factors are more beneficial in reducing cardiovascular disease in younger adults: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 18165
- Low-grade systemic inflammation, hypoadiponectinemia and a high concentration of leptin are present in very young obese children, and correlate with metabolic syndrome.Diabetes Metab. 2005; 31: 55-62
- Cytokines in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis.Thromb Haemost. 2002; 88: 554-567
- Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance.J Clin Investig. 2003; 112: 1821-1830
- Lancet. 2010; 28: 318-375
- Cardiovascular safety of febuxostat or allopurinol in patients with gout.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1200-1210
- Significance of serum uric acid levels on the risk of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013; 52: 127-134
Published online: February 09, 2023
Accepted: February 1, 2023
Received in revised form: January 26, 2023
Received: December 13, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.