A 39-year-old female presented with progressive fatigue, extreme tiredness, muscle pain, giddiness and shortness of breath for six months. On further questioning she reported lack of menses for 19 years, since her last pregnancy. She reported that she had a home delivery 19 years ago with post partum haemorrhage that required hospitalisation and three units of blood transfusion. Clinical examination showed pallor, with no axillary (Fig. 1A) and pubic hair. Biochemical evaluation showed the presence of hypoprolactinaemia (Prolactin - 0.8 ng/ml; NR 2.8–29.2), secondary hypocortisolism (Cortisol - 0.63 mcg/dl; RR 8.7–22.4; ACTH – 45 pg/ml; RR <46), secondary hypothyroidism with a low FT4 (FT4 - 0.4 ng/dL; RR 0.89–1.76), and low FT3 (FT3 - 0.9 pg/mL; RR 2.3–4.2) and an inappropriately normal thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) [2.59 mU/L; (RR 0.30–5.5)]. She also had central hypogonadism with a low oestradiol (<5 pg/mL; RR 12.5–166), an inappropriately low luteinizing hormone (LH) [1.0 mU/mL; (RR 1.9–12.5)] and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) [0.21 mU/ml; (RR 2·5–10·2)]. An MRI pituitary (Fig. 1B) revealed a low volume pituitary with an empty sella (arrow).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sheehan's syndrome in modern times: a nationwide retrospective study in Iceland.Eur J Endocrinol. 2011; 164: 349-354
- Delayed diagnosis of Sheehan's syndrome in a developed country: a retrospective cohort study.Eur J Endocrinol. 2013; 169: 431-438
- Sheehan's syndrome: new insights into an old disease.Endocrine. 2016; 51: 22-31
Published online: March 11, 2023
Accepted: March 6, 2023
Received: February 4, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.