The case of a 50-year-old male with a clinical syndrome consistent with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), generalized lymphadenopathy, and renal involvement is presented. The pathologic examination of an excised supraclavicular lymph node showed necrotizing lymphadenitis. Although necrotizing lymphadenitis is a well-known characteristic of SLE lymphadenitis, the main histologic and immunophenotypic findings of our case showed the presence of distinctive Kikuchi's lymphadenitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lymphadenitis showing focal reticulum hyperplasia with nuclear debris and phagocytosis; a clinicopathological study (in Japanese).Acta Hematol. Jpn. 1972; 35: 379-380
- Trois cas de lymphadenite de Kikuchi au cours du lupus erythemateux systemique. Role du parvovirus B19.Ann. Med. Interne Paris. 1991; 142: 259-264
- Three clinical reports of Kikuchi's lymphadenitis combined with systemic lupus erythematosus.Clin. Rheumatol. 1996; 15: 81-83
- Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis without granulocytic infiltration.Virchows Arch. 1982; 395: 257-271
- Kikuchi's disease associated with lupus-like syndrome—a fatal case.J. Rheumatol. 1992; 19: 1995-1996
- Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis in systemic lupus erythematosus.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1992; 51: 805-807
- Kikuchi's disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: an independent or dependent event?.Clin. Rheumatol. 1991; 10: 90-93
- Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis, Kikuchi–Fujimoto's disease, associated with systemic lupus erythematosus.QJM Mon. J. Assoc. Phys. 1997; 90: 531-533
- Necrotizing lymphadenitis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus.Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 1996; 26: 477-482
- Systemic lupus erythematosus with erythema multiform-like lesions and histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis—a case report.Ann. Acad. Med. Singapore. 1996; 25: 599-601
Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital (Case 5-1997), N. Engl. J. Med. 336 (7) (1997) 492–499.
Accepted: January 29, 1999
Received in revised form: January 20, 1999
Received: January 15, 1999
© 1999 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.