Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans is a fastidious organism that requires carbon dioxide for primary isolation and grows slowly in culture. Infections by this organism affect middle-aged and older men with abnormal or replaced aortic or mitral valves who have been subjected to dental manipulation or individuals with poor oral hygiene. The diagnosis is delayed since growth of the organism is slow. A. actinomycetemcomitans remains an unusual cause of endocarditis. Since 1962, 71 cases of A. actinomycetemcomitans have been reported in the English language literature, while only one case with a history of mitral prolapse has been reported. We describe a case of native valve endocarditis on an apparently normal valve with mild mitral prolapse. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of endocarditis due to A. actinomycetemcomitans from Greece.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Untersuchungen uber menschliche Aktinomykose.Zentralbl Bakteriol, Mikrobiol Hyg. 1912; 62: 191-200
- Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans and Heamophilus aphrophilus.J Infect Dis. 1962; 111: 85-94
- Infective endocarditis complicating mitral valve prolapse: epidimiologic, clinical and microbiologic aspects.Rev Infect Dis. 1986; 8: 117-137
- A. actinomycetemcomitans in human periodontal disease.J Clin Periodontol. 1985; 12: 1-20
- Infection pyogene contagieuse de la souris determinee par Bacillus actinomycetemcomitans.Ann Inst Pasteur. 1953; 84: 647-648
- Infection due to Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans: 15 cases and review.Rev Infect Dis. 1989; 11: 46-63
- Brain abscess due to Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans.Neurology. 1967; 17: 833-837
- Infection due to Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans.Am J Clin Pathol. 1971; 56: 204-211
- Urinary tract infection due to Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans.JAMA. 1969; 210: 558
- Vertebral osteomyelitis due to Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans.JAMA. 1979; 241: 1824-1825
- Pericarditis caused by Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans.J Infect Dis. 1987; 155: 142-143
- Microbial agents in endocarditis.Clin Microbiol Newslett. 1980; 2: 1-3
- Infection due to A. actinomycetemcomitans.Rev Infect Dis. 1989; 11: 1033-1034
- Infective endocarditis caused by Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans: report of four cases.Mayo Clin Proc. 1980; 55: 415-419
Accepted: June 8, 1999
Received in revised form: June 1, 1999
Received: March 23, 1999
© 1999 Published by Elsevier Inc.